Key Facebook Statistics
- Facebook was the most active social media network in January 2023 with 2.963 billion monthly active users
- The latest numbers show that approximately 37.0% of the world uses Facebook
- India has the most active Facebook users of any country, with at least 314.6 million
- Females account for 43.7% of Facebook’s global users, while males account for 56.3%
- In January of 2023, Facebook advertising had a potential reach of 1.98 billion users
Facebook is everywhere and known by everyone. From kids to adults to seniors, everyone knows about it. Being the most used social media platform, you would expect it to be the most dominant in the industry, but that’s not the case. However, for online shopping it is still a powerhouse.
Over the past few years, there has been a decline in its usage, but how has this affected Facebook?
In this article, we will tell you all about Facebook’s revenue and usage statistics.
History of Facebook
It’s almost impossible that someone in this day and age doesn’t know what Facebook is. However, if you don’t know, here are some facts about the history of Facebook:
- Facebook was established in 2004 by Harvard students Eduardo Saverin, Mark Zuckerberg, Chris Hughes and Dustin Moskovitz.
- Mark Zuckerberg was the one to create the first official ID on Facebook.
- Initially, Facebook was launched in 2003 by the name FaceMash.
- Facebook was initially created to connect students at Harvard University with each other.
- Around 1500 Harvard students registered on Facebook within 24 hours of its launch.
- After Harvard, its user base expanded to other Ivy Leagues universities and gradually to different colleges and universities in the US and Canada.
- In 2006, Facebook was released for the general public’s use with the requirement of a valid email address and an age of 13 or above.
- In 2011, Facebook Messenger was launched.
- Facebook’s headquarters are in California.
- Facebook is considered one of the biggest forces behind the push of user-generated content on the internet.
- Facebook has evolved into a photo and video-sharing app, offering features such as Facebook video call, audio call, and a news feed.
- Facebook users access it for free.
- Facebook generates most of its earnings via Facebook advertisements.
General Facebook Statistics
Some of the general statistics about Facebook and active Facebook users in 2023 are:
- As the most popular social media platform, Facebook has a vast user base of 2.96 billion monthly active users.
- Facebook is the world’s second most visited website, trailing only behind Google.
- In 2022, the Facebook app was ranked as the 8th most downloaded app globally.
- The Facebook app is the world’s third most downloaded app on mobile devices and computers.
- There are 2.96 billion monthly active users on Facebook. This figure represents an increase of 39 million daily active users, or 1.3%, over the preceding year.
- 36.7% of the world’s population are monthly active users of Facebook.
- Approximately half of the world’s population aged 13 and above uses Facebook.
- 297.14 million residents of the US are active users of Facebook.
- 93% of marketing strategists use and recommend using Facebook for business.
- Around 94% of businesses are on Facebook.
- Facebook continues to be a brand with one of the best brand values. With a brand value of $101.2 billion, Facebook trailed market leaders like Amazon, Google, and Walmart to take seventh place in 2022.
- 1.97 billion Facebook users log in to Facebook daily.
- Facebook has a limit of 25 status posts per day.
- India has the largest number of Facebook users than any other country.
- One out of three US users uses Facebook’s marketplace.
- 495.7 million users use the Facebook marketplace globally.
- On a daily basis, around 140 billion Facebook videos are played on Facebook and its other apps.
- Facebook users spend an average of 58 mins on Facebook apps.
Facebook Statistics for Ads Revenue
Facebook’s advertising income has been growing steadily from year to year, making it one of the most popular social networking sites and a leader in social media marketing. Marketers consider Facebook the best social media platform for business marketing strategies.
So, it’s not surprising that Facebook’s ad revenue is in the billions, given the growing number of advertisers who use the platform and the amount of money spent on social media ads in the US and India, two of its biggest markets.
Over the past few years, Facebook’s ad revenues have significantly risen due to Facebook stories and posts. So how much revenue does Facebook generate from advertisements?
Facebook Statistics for Revenue by Year
The social network generated $18 billion in total ad revenues in 2015. It increased to $27 billion in 2016, then to $40 billion in 2017, $55 billion in 2018, and finally to $55 billion in 2018. In other words, its ad revenues effectively tripled in just three years.
From 2015 to 2021, ad revenue grew at an average rate of 36.7% per year. The biggest increase over the previous year was seen in 2016, when ad revenues increased by 50%. 2020 experienced the smallest increase, at 20.8%, while in 2021 there was an increase of 36.3%.
According to a financial report from Facebook’s parent company, Meta, Facebook’s ad revenue in 2022 was $136 billion, which was the second time in history that it was more than $100 billion. In 2021, Facebook’s ad revenue was $115 billion.
This represents a rise of almost $21 billion from the prior year. However, Facebook witnessed a drop in its price-per-ad ratio in 2022. In the third quarter of 2022, the average price per ad fell by 18%. It is primarily due to issues related to third-party cookies and iOS users’ updates.
Total revenue in the first quarter of 2023 is expected to be in the $26-28.5 billion range, according to Meta’s financial report for 2022.
According to a report, Facebook ad revenue is also expected to cross the $200 billion mark by the year 2026. Meta earns revenues from both Facebook posts, Facebook videos, and Facebook stories.
Facebook Statistics for Revenue By Region
Compared to $38.43 billion in 2020, the US and Canada contributed $51.5 billion in 2021 to Meta Inc., the parent company of Facebook. In 2021, Europe, Russia, and Turkey will give almost $8 billion more than they did in 2020.
In 2020, Asia-Pacific generated $15.4 billion. In 2021, it generated $26.7 billion. For the Middle East and other regions, it was $7.6 billion in 2020 and $10.5 billion in 2021.
Its US-based revenue increased from $36.25 billion in 2020 to $48.38 billion in 2021. The US market contributed $30.23 billion to the company’s revenue in 2019.
According to Facebook stats, most of Facebook’s net income comes from the US and Canada, followed by the European continent. The United States and Canada collectively contributed $33.4 billion of Facebook’s revenue in the first quarter of 2019, up from $26.4 billion in 2018.
Comparing financial years 2018 and 2019, the US alone accounted for $24.1 billion, up from $17.73 billion.
Facebook’s average revenue per user (ARPU) in the US and Canada in Q1 2022 was $48.29 in Europe, Russia, and Turkey. It was $15.35 in Asia-Pacific, $4.47 in Africa, and $9.00 in Latin America. In the Middle East, it was $3.14.
According to Facebook, ARPU decreased by 20% in the US and Canada, 22% in Europe, Russia, and Turkey, 18% in Asia-Pacific, and 5% in Africa, Latin America, and the Middle East from one quarter to the next.
Facebook Statistics of Users
As of 2023, Facebook had 2.96 billion monthly active users, making it the social media platform with the largest user base. The following are Facebook usage statistics by region, age, and gender.
Statistics by Region
Do you know only 10% of Facebook users are from the US or Canada? Yes, that’s right. India tops all the countries when it comes to having the most Facebook users. Facebook’s demographics show that it is also very popular in countries like Indonesia, Brazil, Mexico, and the Philippines.
Around 23.9% of India’s population uses Facebook. At the same time, 71.4% of Americans have an account on Facebook. In the UK, 66% of the population is an active user of Facebook. 67.6% of Europe’s total population uses Facebook. In the Middle East, 57.3% of the population has a Facebook account, while in Asia, 24.8% of the population has a Facebook account.
Statistics by Age
Users between the ages of 25 and 35 make up the largest demographic group, which is 29.9%. The average Facebook user age is 31, and it is the preferred social media site for the 35- to 44-year-old age group.
5.6% of Facebook users are between the ages of 13 and 17. Facebook was one of the most popular social media sites for teens in 2015, with 71% of teens saying it was their favorite. However, this figure is now down to 51%.
People between the ages of 18 and 24 make up 22.6% of all users, and those aged 35 to 44 make up 18.7%. 238.9 million, the number of monthly active people, or 11.0% of Facebook’s audience, are between the ages of 45 and 54.
6.8% of total Facebook users are 55 to 64 years old. Lastly, according to Facebook statistics, 5.3% of Facebook’s overall ad audience is 65 years of age or older.
Statistics by Gender
56.6% of Facebook users are male. 43.4% are female. Most males who use Facebook are from the age group 25–34, and the same goes for females. Males in the age group of 65 and above are the ones who use Facebook the least, while for females, it is the age group of 13–17.
Well, this is everything you need to know about Facebook’s revenue and user statistics. As you can see by these latest Facebook statistics, Facebook remains the most popular and most used social media platform despite the popularity of many other new social media platforms.
If you’re seeking to expand your knowledge, visit our comprehensive knowledge hub.
Paul Martinez is the founder of EcomSidekick.com. He is an expert in the areas of finance, real estate, eCommerce, traffic and conversion.
Join him on EcomSidekick.com to learn how to improve your financial life and excel in these areas. Before starting this media site, Paul built from scratch and managed two multi-million dollar companies. One in the real estate sector and one in the eCommerce sector.